Monday, November 13, 2006

CLAMPDOWN !

The last few days have seen the early moves in a clampdown on my reluctance to toe a corporate line as Scrutiny Chair. As if I ever would; how little they know me ! That's not why I stood for election....

I won't go into all the details just yet, but I am now under investigation by the Chief Executive for including a derogatory remark about a consultant - one of those that costs the Council tax paper a fortune each year - in an email to another councillor. Also because I do not rely on official Communications to publicise the work of the Scrutiny Committee. Would any sane person do so who didn't want to be dragged down ?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geoff- Please, PLEASE don't give in to them. We need you doing the job you do.

Anonymous said...

Tell 'em to get lost. Local gov't scrutiny is only any good when it's independent and edgy. Who needs council press officers blanding it down?

Anonymous said...

Stand fast, Mr Chairman! This is disgraceful, albeit predictable.

Why not suggest that the CX instead investigates derogatory comments about officers by the Leader?

Cllr. Geoff Lumley said...

1. I will NOT be giving in and I won't be walking away either !

2. Even 'blanding' would be better than being managed !

3. Who pays the ferryman......

Anonymous said...

So the Leader can blatantly attack elected councillors on grounds of their faith, but members' opinions about hired consultants, expressed in private emails, is grounds for an 'investigation'?

Riiiiight.