Monday, May 09, 2005

FIRST DAY

Well its all official now. Signed on with the Chief Executive, had my photo taken, got my access card.

Spent the morning at a 'welcome' meeting. Old hands there together with the 26 new councillors, of which I am the only one not a Tory ! New Council Leader Andy Sutton talked about wanting an inclusive Council and giving scrutiny back to minority parties - hear, hear ! That's what we said in our party submission some three plus years ago. Also talked about letting senior officers manage the authority within explicit policy parameters. Seems like the days of LibDem interference in how many loo-rolls to purchase are over. About time.

In the afternoon spent time with the IT people to find out how they can help me make my life easier. They can, and how ! A pleasure to be advised by them. What an excellent team.

Left County Hall at 3.45 and detoured via Downside and then the Pan community 'Isobel Centre' on the way home- the latter to check their opening hours for the monthly surgery I am planning. Wasn't open so will call back later in the week to set that up.

Now got to complete the form to declare the vast business interests that I have .........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many contratulations, Geoff, for keeping the red flag flying. Clearly the Island has just caught up with the Thatcher landslide 30 years ago.Well when will Labour's time come? By my calculation it will be 2027.