Friday, May 27, 2005

DEAR TORIES - READ YOUR MANIFESTO!

After work today, went to a briefing on the planned creation of a joint Health and Adult Social Care NHS Trust. Island Labour oppose this Trust as it will be throwing good money after bad, given the local NHS's track record in financial managment over the last few years. I asked a number of questions questioning health service provision at a local level, consultation arrangments, staff fears and morale concerns (se the County Press front page today), and on financial matters - but did not get the replies I would want. A number of Tories present appeared to share my views and indeed voiced their similar concerns. Mischieviously I then pointed out that their local election manifesto commits them to supporting the Trust proposal and suggested they read the manifesto as closely as I have !

Its becoming very clear to me that their manifesto is a stranger to most of them. A good few never expected to be elected and do not appear to understand how destructive full implementation of their manifesto would be both to the Island and to their future election prospects.

The next four years are going to create many opprtunities for Deborah and I to hold them to account........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting to read this, Cllr Lumley - I suspect that it may not be long before some of the newly elected Conservative Cllrs feel they may be able to better serve the Island by becoming Independent of the Party whip!
I fear this may mean sweeping changes early in the life of this Administration while the Tory majority is at its most dominant.