Wednesday, October 17, 2007

IT'S MILLER TIME.........


Tonight was Full Council, with more notable Tory absentees than I could count. Apparently being in Kent sharing your coup defeats is now a note worthy excuse....Anyway the agenda was short, but I still left the meeting as popular as ever.

Firstly we had a long debate on saving Post Offices, which we all voted for; though some pointed out that a few positive actions from the Council to help local Post Offices wouldn't go amiss.

We then turned to the election of the next Chair of Scrutiny. No surprise there as 'independent' Muriel Miller was elected by 31 votes to one (me - Deborah wasn't there), with 4 abstentions (including the 3 other ex-Cabinet members and the LibDem member of the Scrutiny Committee). I detailed my opposition to this appointment at some length and said I would not vote for or support a 'poodle' as an opposition Chair. It sounds harsh when you say it, but the facts stack up that way. (Later she even tried to suggest that Committee's were subject to some sort of 'collective responsibility' just by virtue of joint committee membership. Beyond belief.)

Anyway I was roundly condemned by all and sundry for my 'tirade', 'attack', etc etc, and I will now await the referral to the Standards Committee, since that is the new game in town.

No comments: