Thursday, March 16, 2006

ONLY LABOUR TO ENGAGE IN SCRUTINY

Although I missed my first Full Council last night - due to a longstanding personal commitment - I was elected as the new Chair of the Scutiny Committee from 1st April (should I worry about that date?). Although there seems to have been some sort of opposition boycott of the meeting, with only 5 in attendance (including Deborah) out of 12, my nomination as Chair only attracted votes against from the LibDems present. No surprise there then.

An attempt to resurrect (at my prior initiative) a disproportional, all-opposition Scrutiny Committee was lost with the LibDems and Independents voting against in the face of some heavy criticism from the administration leaders. They were apparently called a 'disgrace' and I have to agree. There is no reason at all to still be holding out over meeting-times. They are not going to win that argument and meanwhile they betray those Islanders who do not vote Conservative - over 50%.

Consequently the size of the existing committee was increased to 10 to allow the Tories to grant me one of their 5 places for the duration of this Council. Indeed they will actually be granting two places to Labour, to allow Deborah to join me on the committee, leaving them with 3 plus the three co-optees. Its not ideal and I would much prefer to see the LibDems and Independents take their one place entitlement to secure real opposition control.

Until then Deborah and I, on behalf of Island Labour, are providing the only real alternative to the Tories.

No comments: