Thursday, March 30, 2006

COUNCIL WATCHDOG MOVES UP A GEAR ?

Had an informal meeting of the Scrutiny Committee today - ahead of my becoming Chair on April Fools Day !!!!

I was asked to chair the meeting and overall I think my agenda went down pretty well. I outlined my vision of a proactive and energetic committee, holding the Cabinet to account on issues that matter to Islanders - of which I detailed nine for the next year.

In that vein we agreed that our first new enquiry will be into the current financial circumstances and the proposed privatisation of Wightcare - the home care service. We set up a panel to do this over the next few weeks, lead by myself with Cllrs Gardiner and Mosdell also involved. The Cabinet member had previously agreed to assist and to defer any final decision.

Future public meetings of the Committee will be opened up to public questions about issues on the agenda. I will also be seeking an 'accountability slot' at Full Council.

Much to do in this new role.......

No comments: