Saturday, March 18, 2006

M.P. SUPPORTS MY CALL FOR PAN BY-PASS

Our local MP has today joined my repeated calls since September for a Pan by-pass when the new housing development starts. Such a by-pass would run from upper Staplers Raod to Shide, around the edge of the new development.

I have been calling for this relief road on the Pan Development Steering Group for some months since my election, but until recently it has fallen on deaf ears. The previous LibDem Council also ignored those calls from my predecessor Tony Coburn and local residents of Pan.

However, the Council's Transport Cabinet member also indicated his support to me this week and with the MP's support this should now be deliverable. I know Pan residents certainly hope so....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely a bypass will cause great environmental damage? What about rhe animals and birds and fish of the Pan farms and streams- how will they cross a big releif road? A small estate road system can include bridges and tunnelks for them but how will the red squirrels get over a big route?

Anonymous said...

Well if the area is going to be developed anyway, what's the problem?

Besides which, while I'm not an expert, I don't think one small road could do that much damage, in comparison to the benefit it would give to local residents! :)

Cllr. Geoff Lumley said...

I have a lot of sympathy with the environmental points, but I have to represent the Pan community - who most definitely want a by-pass. I am sure the points raised could be incorporated into the road design.