Tuesday, July 10, 2007

WILL THEY HEAR WHAT THEY ARE BEING TOLD ?

Missed the Cabinet in Bembridge tonight so that I could listen in to the parents meeting at my local middle school about the Year 9 proposals. Only 10 parents there, but I understand that is pretty much the norm with these meetings at the Island's 16 middle schools. The strong belief amongst parents is that the Council leadership have already made their minds up so there is little point in turning up.

Of the 10 parents there, including 2 parent governors, all were totally against the retention of Year 9 in middle schools. I understand this has been the clear view of parents at at least three other middle schools where I have had reports.

When the Report on this consulation is presented to the Cabinet in September, I doubt if such continuing opposition will be listened to. After all the Conservative group didn't listen to their electorates prior to the April Council decision on this issue. It will be interesting to see how the Tories play that lack of responsiveness and accountability in the upcoming by-election.......

No comments: