Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A STRANGE FEW DAYS

A strange few days. Sunday saw my team Sunderland promoted to the Football Premiership for the fourth time in 12 years - hopefully to stay this time, and not to perform like the Tory government of 1992-97 - again. I was over the moon.

Tuesday I joined my work colleagues on strike, and on the morning picket lines, against the continuing job cuts within the civil service. I may not be a union branch officer anymore, but I am still a member of the rank and file who respects the collective decisions of his union. Old Labour, I know.

Every day I get messages about Scrutiny and the disgraceful behaviour of the Council Tories. Some say I should stand down as Chair; others urge me to stay on. I will make my mind up in readiness for 17 May.

Tomorrow we have an informal meeting of the new Scrutiny Committee. That too willl play a part in my decision. Though I suppose some of the 5 new members are off to the USA tomorrow.

No comments: