Tuesday, February 28, 2006

FURRLONGS PROTECTED FROM BUS PLANS

A renewed attempt to keep plans for a bus-gate at the junction of Furrlongs and St Georges Way in the Local Transport Plan (LTP) have been successfully seen off after my swift action. Such a gate could have seen main bus routes routed through Pan to avoid Coppins Bridge, and attracted much local opposition and my own last September. I subsequently secured assurances that this would not happen in the final LTP, but the plans were still there when the Plan was approved for submission to Full Council yesterday.

I immediately sought a 'call in' of this decision by the members of the existing Scrutiny Committee. One of the Tory members took an interest and through his good offices the Cabinet member has this evening instructed officers to remove these plans from the LTP.

I am delighted and know local residents will be too.

No comments: