Monday, January 23, 2006

COMPLICATED LIFE

When I am not being a Councillor I have to earn a proper living to supplement my £6k per annum allowance, which I do by working for the Dept for Work & Pensions in Newport. As you would expect from a traditional Labour councillor, in my work life I am also a trade union activist, representing members with their day to day work problems. My union is PCS and this Thursday and Friday I will be joining my colleagues in the DWP across the nation in a 2 days strike. As if my life wasn't complicated enough ! So at 7am each day I will be out on the picket line.

PCS members are on strike against job losses (the government wants a further 15,000 civil service job losses by 2008 in the DWP alone), crackdowns on our conditions of service, worsening services to the public, rubbish IT systems (provided by the private sector), more use of call centres, etc etc. This sort of agenda will seem awfully familiar to Islanders working in other public sector areas.

Its just a pity that workers sometimes have no option but to use the only weapon they have in the face of no longer bearable attacks on their lives............

No comments: