Tuesday, June 24, 2008

VIEW FROM THE BACK


Last Thursday was the latest session of the Scrutiny Ctte, which I observed from the back of the room for the first time since March 2006. Sadly the committee seems to have gone full circle in the intervening period - with the return of the serried ranks of big suits AT the table for the duration blocking a visitors view, officers mainly answering the questions rather than Cabinet members, just one member of the public in attendance, and my own question regarding the failure of the committee to Call In the recent schools decision treated by the current Chair much like my questions to Cabinet. It made me feel that my 14 months in the chair up to May 2007 had been entirely wasted.

The following evening I went out to Freshwater for the AGM of the Association of IW Town & Parish Councils. I really know how to live ! However, as the Chair of a new parish council I thought I should give it a try. What was interesting here was the sense of impotence felt by local councils with regard to planning applications in their 'back yards'. I also noted the number of LibDem parish councillors present who hadn't been elected on a political ticket, unlike the recent ones in Newport and Ryde.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the implication that no LibDem parish councillor has been elected on a political ticket other than in Newport or Ryde. If so this blog is as incorrect as ever.

Cllr. Geoff Lumley said...

There is no implication of that whatsoever. I acknowledge three in Sandown 3 years ago, and a few more since - Lake and Havenstreet come to mind, but most were elected in 2005 without a ticket. I am sure you will agree that is correct, Bob.

Anonymous said...

Thank god the parish councils have no teeth! If they did nothing would ever get built. These pompous do-gooders oppose every last application.