Thursday, October 19, 2006

OCTOBER FULL COUNCIL

Well I got a reasonably satisfactory response from the Council Chairman to the one of my 3 outstanding emails regarding religious toleration (signed by himself), so I was able to attend Full Council last night.

I nearly didn't get to do the 'walk of the heathen' though as I was firstly subjected to pressure about my monthly Scrutiny report. The powers that be didn't like my reporting the Wightcare staff announcement (see post of Oct 8) - which they continue to deny - and wanted me to remove that section. I refused, so they circulated it to the meeting for me, but only after cautioning me that I may be referred to the Standards Board for breach of the code of conduct. Sorry chaps - for that is what they are - I stand by the truth no matter what. In the meeting itself they again claimed my report on Wightcare was untrue, but I defended myself robustly and will continue to do so.

My first intervention was immediate as I asked for clarification on a proposed amendment to the Minutes after I had complained that they omitted entirely any reference to last month's attack on my lack of faith. Goebbels could have learnt something from this !

There were two motions - one agreeing wide public consultation on the recent Fire Service options report (agreed nem con); the other committing the Council to seeking a significant reduction in the number of councillors in next years Boundary Commission review. That went through overwhelmingly, though I (quietly) abstaned as there was a load of nonsense in the motion about parish councils being 'local democratic leadership'. In some areas yes, but everywhere ? Get real.

I spoke twice in the debate about approving the Newport Town Council petition. Of course this went through easily - 2 against - but I also tried to make overtures to the member for Carisbrooke West, which are not so far falling on stony ground.........

A new Members' Allowances Scheme was approved unanimously. I am a keen advocate of compensating working age and work-dependent people to stand for public office, and that will only happen if allowances help them to take commensurate unpaid time-off - as I do with my allowance. No doubt we will be vilified in the press, but all parties and groups supported the scheme - which is actually a reduction on the budget of the previous Council, probably because we now only have one Scrutiny Committee instead of SIX Select Committees......

After that it was Reports time, which whistled by. Of note all evening was the quietness of the Council Leader, who only spoke for his Leaders' report !

No comments: