Saturday, April 08, 2006

TOWARDS A TOWN COUNCIL

The petition for a Newport Town Council is progressing well, with 60% of the required signatures secured. Last night saw the establishment of the transitional body - the Newport Town Management Committee - that will eventually lead to a Town Council. All the IW Councillors are on it, plus up to 7 co-opted people - appointed through due process. Sadly no one from Pan applied to be co-opted, though there is still a vacancy. Must see what I can do.

Astonishingly at this inaugural meeting I somehow got elected as the Chair for the next year. Not sure how this happened when there are six Tory Councillors or members out of the 12 current members, but I won an election 6 votes to 5 ! Obviously this leads to even more responsibility for an already hard-working councillor, but as ever I will give it my best.

No comments: