Saturday, April 08, 2006

55,000 IS TOO MANY

Next Thursday I will urge the Council's Licensing Committee to limit the numbers allowed for the IW Rock Festival to 35,000. That was the figure last year and is more than enough for the Seaclose Park location. I support the festival entirely, having been there in two of the last three years (paying for my own ticket), but feel strongly that there has to be a limit for this residential area - on both numbers and licensing hours. Its not in my ward, though I do live there, but I have had concerns expressed from people in Pan adjacent to the Fairlee area.

The promoters have cleverly and cynically tried to back the Licensing Committee into a corner. They have sold 55,000 tickets without having the licence for such numbers, and will no doubt threaten to pull out if they don't get their way. This week's County Press has given us a compliant public relations push by the promoter, delivering the image of a major philanthropist and benefactor for the Island. Bottom line for all promoters of festivals - they want to make as much money as possible......

No comments: