Sunday, November 27, 2005

SITTING ON MY BACKSIDE, APPARENTLY !

The Island's Conservative MP was out leafleting Pan yesterday. I knew in advance that he would be out and about and I had a copy of his leaflet within a couple of hours of it hitting the doormats.

Apparently he is 'working for Pan all year round - not just at election time'!!!! The implication being that I have been sat on my backside since May wallowing in the status I have as local councillor.

Of course as anyone who knows me or reads this blog or my regular newsletters - my third one since the election out from next weekend - this is a total nonsense. Indeed the MP contradicts himself in his leaflet by admitting that I have been campaigning successfully against main Ryde bus routes being diverted along Furrlongs. He asks if this is what people actually want, as after all it will only involve noisy double-decker buses running through Pan, but then goes on to to say the streets of Pan should be 'quiet residential roads'. Me thinks he needs to make his mind up!

Other issues he wants views on that I already have in progress at the request of locals are: priority parking for local residents over commuters; support for a Pan by-pass when the new development is started; community wardens in place thanks to Labour government funding and the local partnership; more CCTV in the pipeline for where local people know there is a problem; long-term provision of cheap local milk at Downside Middle School when I was Chair of Governors.

The MP may work for the IW all year round on his generous salary and with all his many support staff. As a local councillor, however, I believe I am achieving far more for local residents despite the fact I still have to earn my living. I do that by being involved in Pan issues all week long - not just when I have a spare Saturday !

No comments: