Thursday, November 24, 2005

FULL COUNCIL LAST NIGHT

Last night was Full Council. Again poorly attended by the Tories - I made seven of them missing, plus as ever the new Scrutiny Chair. Deborah and I have yet to miss one. Main issues from my perspective were:

1. December meeting will be cancelled to save money. I asked if this meant that democracy now has a price rather than a value and would it now be privatised by this administration;

2. Two lay people were appointed to the Scrutiny Committee. Only the Tories supported, with all opposition members voting against or abstaining. Mainly because there was no opportunity to question the Scutiny Chair about the candidates, given he was involved in their appointment. I proposed deferrment until he was present but that went down - predictably. Deborah and I were urged to propose a motion in future that will give us places on this committee as we are so 'talented'. Beware those who would.... etc......The only way we would get that place now would be with unanimous support - which isn't going to happen. Consequently we will persist with our rigorous questioning of them at Full Council;

3. 'Aim High' went through with us and LibDems opposing and independents abstaining. I made a number of points about very low staff morale and the lack of ambition of some of their targets - the former were rubbished by the Leader, the latter he seemed to agree with;

4. I disassociated Labour councillors from the decision to get rid of two senior Council officers in Education and I was assured that press releases in future will not suggest all elected members are in favour of something they did not get consulted about; other opposition members seemed to welcome my remarks;

5. I queried the £2 million in year budget overspend and was assured that this will be addressed;

6. I asked if the Council are still committed to integration with the bankrupt local Health trusts and was told they are ! Astounding. They seem to believe anything they are told....

All in all a most unedifying meeting. Its like sitting in a room of sheep at times there is so little debate in favour of the administration apart from their Cabinet members/secretaries. Deborah and I are having to work very hard at providing real opposition; though that is something we are both comfortable with.

No comments: