Tuesday, June 23, 2009

DANCING ATTENDANCE - AGAIN.....


I went along to the first public committee meeting of this Council last night - the Audit Committee. A couple of years ago (30.5.07) I wrote about how a previous Audit Chair had officers 'dancing attendance' and it was bit like that last night with Finance officers (as many present as councillors on the committee) given quite a grilling by the new Chair. Of course it shows how 'scrutiny' in any form should be done, though I suspect it isn't the approved modus operandi for Tory Chair's.......

Of course going along to committees and particularly the cabinet as an observer is the only way in which I can operate on this Council. Being a lone member, the only places I will get on committees/panels are the ones no one else wants. And I won't want them either. I prefer to get along to cabinet to ask my questions and to Full Council to ask some more. That is my way of holding to account, challenging and scrutinising.

An interesting move is the way the ruling Tory Group have taken an extra place on the 'non-political' Planning Committee - giving them 8 places out of 12. If its so non-political, why are they so anxious to pack it with their people ? Particularly when 5 of their 8 are Newport councillors. Hardly representative is it ?

1 comment:

Robert Jones said...

Dancing Attendance
Dancing Attendance
Who'll come a dancing attendance with me?
And they kept a straight face while
Dave and Pals all ****ed it up,
Who'll come a dancing attendance with me?

One of those replies which actually demonstrates the value of anonymity...