Monday, November 24, 2008

SCHOOL GHOSTS


Went along to the Cabinet meeting tonight that was making the latest decisions on school reorganisation. It was like a Dickension scene with the Ghosts of Education Past (Patrick Joyce and Standards not Tiers) stirring the ashes of old conflicts and 3-tier education, the Ghost of Education Present (the Council leader) going on, and on, and on, and on about what they were proposing to do under 2-tiers - and the Ghost of our children's Education Future yet to be realised.

Apparently the leader's speech was due to last an hour, without the questions, but I had had enough after an hour and three-quarters (7.45pm) and went home for my evening meal. When I last checked Ventnor blog (8.45pm) it is still going on, and on, and on, and on............

On my way out I bumped into someone who had only attended the meeting for the second item on the agenda - next year's Concessionary Fares Scheme. She could not believe that anyone was expected to have to wait for more than 2 hours for an agenda item. I agreed with her and told her to complain to County Hall about the agenda planning tomorrow morning.

NB: Just after 9pm the Cabinet did what they were going to do at the 6pm start - agreed the proposals submitted by the leader of the Council. What on earth were they trying to prove by this charade ?........but I have no idea what happened to the Concessionary Fares paper.........obviously not that important to them !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds barmy. DP likes the sound of his own voice or just boring the antis to death?

Glad to hear you got your attendance allowance before eating your tea Geoff. Now that mad old bat Win has been chopped I'd bet a lot more councillors are turning up to claim their place and expenses?

Anonymous said...

I like your analogy, Geoff - and the image you've chosen to accompany it. I'm rather fearful of what the Ghost of Education Future has in store.

Anonymous said...

People always fear change. I fear the current awful level of achievement more!

Mind you, if lazy, happy to be second best iw parents don't improve too then there's no hope.