Thursday, October 23, 2008

THANKS BRIAN MOSDELL - R.I.P.


Last night I made my latest visit to Brian Mosdell in the hospice, but learnt from the staff on arrival that he had taken a turn for the worse. This morning he died. Like many who knew him I feel very sad.

I got to know Brian well after the 2005 Council elections, and particularly during our Scrutiny investigation into Wightcare during 2006, when that wonderful Council service was under threat of privatisation. Deborah and I guessed he would be a hard-faced Tory about it, but he proved to be a man of great compassion and integrity, who knew the value of a public service not just the price.

When he stood down from the Council Tory Group in the summer of 2007 I was not surprised. He was far too 'One Nation', too much of a democrat, for that bunch. He was to remain estranged from the party he had been a member of for many, many years due to his active opposition to the Tory Education Betrayal.

I am pleased that I got to know Brian over the last three and a half years. We didn't often agree, but we disagreed with mutual respect and a great deal of humour.

My heartfelt condolences to his widow Shirley and the rest of his family.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rip Brian.

I hope those former Tory colleagues feel some shame and don't embarass themselves by attending his funeral.

Anonymous said...

RIP Brian too. He will be missed by many.

To correct - Brian remained member of the conservative party until his passing away; he was never "kicked out" as Geoff alleges. In fact he was active in local branch and company enjoyed by many.

Cllr. Geoff Lumley said...

Last anon - that was what I understood, but I have amended the post

Anonymous said...

I agree with anon 10.59pm.The Tory council group should hang their heads in shame.
Brian was a rarity-an honest politician,and a gentleman.
He was a man of his word who believed in democracy.
He had been under the shadow of the standards board for a year.Who can know the strain that must have placed upon him.
Perhaps the 'unnamed persons' mentioned in the previous posting will stop grinding the axe and let this man rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

And it now seems the Tories are writing nasty emails to each other on this subject. Who treated him badly etc.

What a disgrace. The mans body not yet cold.