Saturday, January 19, 2008

SAVE OUR SCHOOLS


The last few days has been very interesting on the schools issue. Yesterday I did the IW Radio phone-in. I was booked to talk about Pan, Newport and Labour matters, but of course it ended up being almost exclusively about schools. Best thing about it was learning that two Conservative councillors are joining Labour, Cllr Joyce, the Non-Aligned group, and it now appears the Liberals, in opposing these barmy reorganisation proposals from the Council leadership. Neither have schools in their ward that are closing.

That makes it 11 out of 48 councillors publicly opposed so far. So just 14 more needed to throw all of this out. If the Independents and 'odds and sods' join the opposition that would give us another 7. With at least that many Tory backbenchers representing wards with a closing primary school, it is clearly possible that the proposals will be rejected.

IW Labour will be doing what it can to concentrate the minds of Tory councillors over the next few weeks, and I will play my part.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for supporting the campaign Geoff. Hopefully together can beat this!

The big march is at 10am, this Saturday.

You can download a bigger poster and find out about more events at www.saveiowschools.co.uk

Anonymous said...

I see Cllr Jilly Wood has signed up as a regional co-ordinator for the Save our Schools campaign. I do hope someone points out to her that this means she MUST vote against all of these ridiculous proposals.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear what your alternative proposal is Geoff? You didn't seem to have one on IW Radio on Friday?

SOS Save our schools is great but you should be advancing plan B

At the moment like the Liberals, you look like an opportunist.

Cllr. Geoff Lumley said...

Plan B ? Alternative proposal ? I was elected in May 2005 PROMISING to defend the 3 tier system. I won't break that promise.

Why do we need a Plan B ? The Council can determine not to change the current structures. There is no pressure from government.

Opportunist ? Well I have consistently voted against change since I was elected. Only Cllr Gardiner and I can say that on this Council. See my blogs of Nov 22 and April 23 2007 for voting details......If keeping promises and being consistent is opportunist, then I am guilty in your Alice in Wonderland world.

Anonymous said...

It's your government that are cutting the £7 million Geoff, fact!

The council are taking the stick but you arent helping, just joining in with the hysteria, it's standards that matter most not the proximity of the school? Many parents are fat and have overweight kids, the walk to school scares them a bit maybe?