Friday, January 26, 2007

TOO BUSY TO BLOG

Yes, even I find it difficult to find time to blog sometimes, but I have to be at home today so can take the opportunity.

Tuesday was PNP Board where I was pleased to help agree the budget for the 2007/08 Delivery Plan. Some really good stuff planned for next year as the pathfinder programme enters its third year.

Wednesday I had meetings all day culminating in an informal meeting of the Policy Commission for Care, Housing, etc to finalise a 'Blue Paper' on Affordable Housing policy. I had plenty to say - when don't I ? - and remain sceptical of some of its proposals. It will be published on 15 Feb. I also went along to the IW Cycle Forum in the afternoon representing Newport TMC, where I heard about some potentially exciting route developments.

Yesterday I did Extra Extra on Solent TV, which was fun. A better balanced panel than last week and we had a lively debate about policing.

Later I was told that the Tories are going to take away the Blackberry I have had for three months - the only IT thing I have had to help me in my role since I was elected, and particularly since I became Scrutiny Chair, that was any good to me. 18 Tories are allowed them - from the toilet supremo to the farmer, but not one opposition member. Political discrimination, and very petty.

Later there was the much anticipated Policy Commission for Children etc, which agreed its much-trailed Blue Paper on 14-19 Education WITHOUT making a recommendation to Cabinet as to which of the 5 options they supported. Deborah asked about where the idea of a single Trust for High Schools came from and was told it came out in an evidence session last year from the Chamber of Commerce. Everyone I know who was there does not recall that.....Deborah and I have decided we will oppose any further disruption to the school system and the staff on the IW, but this will ultimately go to further public consultation.

No comments: