Tuesday, January 16, 2007

ABDICATING RESPONSIBILITY: THE ABSENT LIB DEMS

I went along to the Audit & Performance Committee for the first time this evening. This is a committee that I see as Scrutiny's sister, though it is Tory controlled. Labour has no place on this committee, though we have offered to take the LibDem place on the committee since they haven't bothered for some months. However, it seems they prefer to leave an opposition place empty rather than let Labour do it. I don't blame them given their general ineffectiveness in opposition these past nearly two years. Only their 'leader' gets involved in anything in the Council - and that is helping the Tories produce their policies rather than holding them to account.

All a great pity really as tonight's meeting was a superb opportunity to question Cabinet members about service performance, which the Tory members are clearly not going to do too sparkily - or they get their whips after them. I was champing at the bit, but left after an hour as it is clearly not a forum for non-members of the committee. Shame.

Full Council tomorrow - oh joy ! I wonder what new incompetence I will have to endure from the Chairman tomorrow or what personal abuse will be heaped on me by the leadership.....

No comments: