Thursday, August 16, 2007

AS I SAID - POODLES....


As I said on July 1st, the new Scrutiny Committee is a now effectively a Poodle Committee.

Last December the old committee agreed to 'call in' any Cabinet decision about closing the Tennyson Trail. The decision was deferred for months after that threat, but was then made recently.

I tried to organise a 'call-in' of the decision two weeks ago, but only one other member of the committee supported me. I need 3. The committee has 10 Councillors and currently consists of 7 Tories, 2 ex-Tory independents, and me. So we now have a closure order on the Tennyson Trail that the Police have said they cannot effectively police.

I think I am wasting my time staying on this joke committee..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely Geoff you must have realised this would happen when you resigned the Chair?

Cllr. Geoff Lumley said...

Of course I did, and I also realised that the new-style Scrutiny Committee would be like that whether I was in the chair or not. I preferred not to be seen as at all responsible for the future venality.

Anonymous said...

Of course I'm not familiar with all the in-fighting, and I respect your judgment. But from an outsider's point of view it does look as if 'they' have successfully squeezed you out from a position where you were able to question how things are done.