Sunday, December 13, 2009

SLOW THE PAN PLANNING RUSH


The following is a press release I issued last week that got good coverage across the Island's media:

"Local IW Councillor for Newport East, Geoff Lumley, is slamming the breakneck speed with which the Pan development planning application is to go to Planning Committee for approval. The planning application by the IW Council to its own Planning Committee will be heard on 15 December, just 3 months after submission. Major applications by private developers usually take far longer, as many planning agents will no doubt note. Cllr Lumley claims that the rush is forcing both him as the local Member and Newport Parish Council to oppose the application due to the absence of meaningful consultation.

Cllr Lumley said, "This application was drawn up by the IW Council in consultation with a small number of local residents. I was deliberately kept out of that process. Once the application was submitted in mid-September I received a large number of calls and comments from other local residents about aspects of the application that they were unhappy about and that they wished me to pursue. These concerns were also picked up by Newport Parish Council who made an extensive objection to the details of the application with my full support and involvement in mid-October. When neither I nor the Parish Council had heard anything further, I asked the Council last month if they would be responding to any of those concerns - and was told no. Additionally at no point have the Manchester-based planning consultants the Council is using for this application (Urban Vision) ever contacted me about the concerns I passed onto the Council's planning office in early November."

"These concerns specifically relate to the absence of a road link between old and new Pan, hardly conducive to integration; the closer proximity of the development to existing homes than originally indicated; and a number of traffic issues for the entire Newport area."

Cllr Lumley concluded by saying, "This is deeply concerning for me. I understand and entirely support the need for more rented, affordable housing on the Island and want to support this application. However, without some changes that I consider easily addressed, I am compelled to oppose it. The emphasis with this application seems to be get it through committee as fast as possible and sod the concerns of local people and the local councillor. A little less rush and I am sure all concerned would be on board. ""